Ada-Belle Winthrop-King Fund
HIGH SCHOOL TRAVEL AWARD IN FRENCH, SUMMER 2018
Deadline for Completed Applications: March 3, 2018
AIMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERNING THIS AWARD
The purpose of the Ada Belle Winthrop-King High School Summer Award in French is to provide an opportunity for all high school students in Leon County to travel to a French speaking country to improve their French linguistic and cultural knowledge, in the summer of the year the application is made. The award's purpose is to help cover the costs of travel such as airfare, lodging in the host country, etc.
The award is in the amount of $1,000. There will be four awards available in 2018.
To be eligible for an award, applicants must be (1) a current high school student - grade 9-12 - enrolled in the Leon County School District, (2) currently taking a French class, and (3) must have earned a grade of A or B in each prior French class taken at the high school level (includes AP and Dual Enrollment classes).
The application consists of:
- Part A: Online application (student academic information and statement of purpose)
- Part B: Hard copy form that must be completed and mailed to the Winthrop-King Institute.
- Part C: Letter of recommendation from your current high school French teacher. The letter of recommendation will be requested from the teacher by the Winthrop-King Institute.
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES GOVERNING WINTHROP-KING AWARDS
How to Submit Your Application
All required parts of the award application must be completed and submitted by the advertised Winthrop-King application deadline. As you will need some time to prepare your application, you are strongly advised to prepare the application well before the advertised deadline so that you can complete and submit all parts of your application on time. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered by the High School Award Committee. Be sure to comply with all of the important instructions below; failure to do so will render you ineligible for an award.
Part A: On-line application form
This part of the application is to be submitted electronically. You may save your data and return to it before submitting the completed application. When your application is complete, you must press the "submit" button. If you do not press the "submit" button by the advertised deadline, your application will not be considered by the Award Committee. The link to the Part A of the application can be found below.
Part B: Hard-copy submission form
Applicants must print and fill out the Part B Application Form (see below for the link) and mail it to the following address:
Florida State University
362 Diffenbaugh Building
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1540
- All Winthrop-King awards are subject to the availability of funds.
- Awards are made for future study in a specified semester and may not be changed or deferred.
- Award recipients, who are unable to complete the travel, must repay the award within 7 days of the commencement of the intended travel.
- Upon completion of travel, the award recipients must submit to the Winthrop-King Institute proof of travel (receipts, boarding passes, etc).
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary information requested in Part B is provided legibly on the application form.
- Letters of Recommendation from your French teacher in which she/he verifies your French class grades and your language oriented travel will be requested by the Winthrop-King Institute, and must be received two (2) weeks after the initial request date. If the letter is not received by the deadline, your application will not be complete.
- Students must have discussed the travel to a French-speaking country with their French teacher prior to applying for this award as the French teacher's approval of the travel program will be verified.
Awards are made at the discretion of the Award Committee, taking into account all information provided on the application forms. The Committee's decision is final. If the Committee so determines that no application is worthy of an award that decision is final. Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications by e-mail by April 2018. The Committee does not provide any additional feedback to candidates. In view of the large number of applicants, the notification process may take several days and the candidates should not be concerned if some applicants receive notification before others. Candidates are responsible for supplying a valid e-mail address in their application and for checking their e-mail account for messages.
The Florida State University (University) is an equal opportunity employer and educational provider committed to a policy of non-discrimination for any member of the University's community on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans' or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other protected group status. This policy applies to faculty, staff, students, visitors, applicants, and contractors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University policies, procedures, and processes.
|To be completed and submitted online by all applicants.||To be completed and submitted in hard copy by all applicants.|
Applications which are incomplete, illegible, late, or in any other way ineligible will not be considered by the Award Committee. ALL parts of the application must be submitted by the stated deadline (including Part A, Part B, letters of recommendation, etc.).
Protecting your privacy is important to us. The Winthrop-King Institute for Contemporary French and Francophone Studies will use the personal information you provide for the sole purpose of evaluating your award application. Disclosure is voluntary. However, failure to provide information could preclude your consideration for this award.
If you have any questions about Winthrop-King awards, students should address these in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience technical difficulties in submitting the on-line Part A of your application, e-mail Ray Marky at email@example.com indicating the nature of the difficulty, which must be notified before the deadline for applications.