THE WINTHROP-KING INSTITUTE IN Numbers
• Forty-five graduate students received teaching enhancement scholarships from the Winthrop-King Institute in 2018-2019.
• Fourteen French graduate students had their tuition fees covered by the Winthrop-King Institute in 2018-2019.
• Thirteen undergraduate students received a $6,000 summer study abroad scholarship in 2018-2019.
• Twenty-one graduate students have received funding from the Winthrop-King Institute in 2018-2019 to present at both national and international conferences.
• Ten graduate students received funding from the Winthrop-King Institute in 2018-2019 to travel to foreign countries to conduct academic research. Countries such as Haiti, France, Spain, and Mexico.
• More than Three Hundred Eighty-Nine followers of our Facebook page. page: www.facebook.com/winthropking
• More than Four Thousand Eighty-Five views of our YouTube channel. The channel contains interviews with the institute guest speakers, lectures and roundtable recordings. A great resource for scholars and students: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeeBzkkER-TAzkVnqFuiWGw
• One high school student has received awards from the Winthrop-King Institute in academic year 2018-2019 to travel to French speaking countries in order to improve their French linguistic and cultural knowledge.
• Three special issues of peer-reviewed journals drawn from Winthrop-King conferences were published in 2018-2019.
• Twenty – Three faculty members in the department received awards from the Institute to present at national and international conferences.
• The Winthrop-King institute is now offering $ 5,000 ABD scholarship to students in the French program to dedicate the summer to research. One awardees benefited from the scholarship in summer 2019.
• The Winthrop King Institute organized Three major international conferences and symposiums.
• The Winthrop-King institute sponsored Four lectures and One film screening in the Modern Languages and Linguistics’ Lecture Series in 2018-2019.
• This academic year the Winthrop-King co-sponsored One graduate student’s conference.
• In March 2019, Twenty - Six speakers presented at the Winthrop-King’s conference “Does “la lutte continue”? The Global Afterlives of May ’68.”
• Thanks to the Institute’s collaboration with the Center for the Advancement of Human Rights, the screening and Q & A with film directors of Une Autre Justice was a great success in October 2017.
• In partnership with the Center for the Advancement of Human Rights, One graduate student was selected to spend a month internship in Paris at France Terre d’Asile.
• Two issues of the journal Expressions maghrébines were produced thanks to the administrative and financial support of the Winthrop King Institute.